Friday, July 26, 2013

Trans*

Trans-, the prefix, literally translates as beyond, so transgender means beyond gender. I love this poster because it includes all kinds of identities beyond gender. That's why when I write, I use Trans* instead of some subcategory term. Recently, an acquaintance has been railing against this use of trans* to include people who question gender and who aren't transitioning or post-transition. I think perhaps he needs to reconsider trans-sexual as the word of choice for him and look at this poster as a way to let the younger and more fluid people use trans* to mean beyond gender. However, I understand that some people will have their beliefs/opinions and nothing can change their way of thinking. His experience is his, and I would not try to take it from him; I just hope he's not trying to take other people's experiences from them.

No comments: