Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Trans* Story

I read an interesting article today on "the acceptable trans* narrative" and I also turned my dissertation proposal over to my committee for their comments before I move forward with my research (My dissertation is collecting trans* narratives as part of a larger project). I have my own life narrative as a trans* person, and I've been following Laverne Cox closely recently as she's been in the news and highlighted in social media since taking on the role of Sophia Burset on Orange is the New Black. What does it mean to have an "acceptable" trans* narrative? Is this when you are part of the accepted and easily transitioned folks who don't rock the boat? I hope not. I hope that anyone with any story is welcome by the trans* family and that all narratives are recognized.

No comments: