Saturday, October 19, 2013

What kind of man do you want to be?

I had the opportunity to visit with a group of doctoral students recently as part of their multicultural studies class for their studies of sexism, homophobia, and transgender oppression. As I told my story of my on-going medical transition from female to male and my experiences with sexism and homophobia and transgender oppression, I was asked, "What kind of man do you want to be?" I loved the question, and I was happy to share that I want to be a kind of man that I'm not used to seeing, but the kind that I have seen my dad be...one that defies stereotypes and sexism...one that is a feminist...one that blends feminine and masculine characteristics in a unique way...genderqueering for the love and respect of my cisgender female partner and all other cisgender women who are still fighting for their own equality in our society. I want to be a man like my father who is calm, logical and collected - not the kind that I observed drunk and disorderly cussing and verbally abusing refs and players at the football game I attended tonight. Thanks for the question.

No comments: