Sunday, February 16, 2014

Feminism

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, "Feminism is both an intellectual commitment and a political movement that seeks justice for women and the end of sexism in all forms." Some people will claim that only women can be feminists, but clearly people of any gender can uphold the ideals of feminism. As a Trans* man, I have been accused of being anti-feminist simply because of my identity. I have been accused of abandoning women. But I identify as a feminist and as a Trans* man. I uphold the intellectual commitment and support the political movement that seeks justice for women and the end of sexism in all forms. I believe that feminism serves to advance Trans* rights and that feminism and Trans* activism work hand-in-hand. I seek to end gender oppression in all forms. I identify as a Trans* man because I seek to defy the gender binary. I am not at one end of a binary. I am part of a fluid spectrum, and I believe that the goals of feminism serve to advance the same purposes my gender identity serves to advance. We can work together.

No comments: